No. 2 Story of the Year: Three Dead in Head-On Crash Involving School Bus and Passenger Vehicle
Killed in the crash were Elaine Clausen, 70; Laela Shawel, 11; and Gion Clausen-Young, 4.
As the end of the year approaches, Patch recaps the biggest stories of 2012—both in terms of pageviews and impact on the Inver Grove Heights community. The original article posted on Nov. 17, 2012.
Click here to read the death notices of the crash victims.
Other Story of the Year posts:
• No. 3 Story of the Year: Dad Allegedly Abused 5-Year-Old Daughter, Filmed the Abuse for Pornography
• No. 4 Story of the Year: County Attorney Seeks Maximum Sentence for Defendants in IGH Drug Bust
• No. 5 Story of the Year: Are You in Favor of a Gun Safety Program Inside City Limits?
• No. 6 Story of the Year: Former Simley Student Teacher Accused of Sending Naked Pic to Student
• No. 7 Story of the Year: ISD 199 Technology Levy Defeated
• No. 8 Story of the Year: Simley Student Writes One Act Play
• No. 9 Story of the Year: Funeral Arrangements Set For U.S. Marine, Simley Alum Cola Jensen
• No. 10 Story of the Year: Olsons' is the Greatest Love Story in Inver Grove Heights
ORIGINAL POST: Inver Grove Heights police have confirmed that three people died in a crash involving a District 196 school bus and a passenger vehicle.
All three victims were inside the vehicle, which caught fire during the crash.
The bus driver—who was alone in the bus—emerged from the accident uninjured.
The full press release from the Inver Grove Heights police department is as follows:
On Friday November 16, 2012 at 3:53 p.m. the Inver Grove Heights Police and Fire Departments responded to a motor vehicle crash at 77th Street W. and Argenta Trail.
Responding officers were advised that the crash involved a passenger car and a schoolbus and that the car was on fire.
Upon arrival, officer’s discovered that a passenger car and a school bus, with no children on board, had collided head-on, and both vehicles were on fire.
The driver, who was the only occupant of the bus, was reported to be uninjured.
Officers preliminarily located at least 3 deceased in the passenger car.
The names of the involved are being withheld until identification and notifications can bemade.
The cause of the crash is unknown at this time. The Inver Grove Heights Police Department along with the Minnesota State Patrol is continuing to investigate this incident.
(Nov. 16) District 196 School Bus Collides With Vehicle in Inver Grove Heights
A school bus from School District 196 has collided with a car near the intersection of Highway 55 and Argenta Trail.
The car inolved in the crash is heavily damaged appears to have caught fire. Police are still gathering information and will make a statement shortly.
WCCO is reporting that two people died in the crash.
Inver Grove Heights Police and and Inver Grove Heights Fire are handling the scene, and Minnesota State Patrol is assisting.