A new business year is right around the corner. How can you tell if you’re ready? If even ONE of the six indicators below apply to you, then you’re not even close to being ready for 2013!
- Your website is more than two years old. If you haven’t done anything with your website in more than two years, you’ve got quite a bit of catching up to do. Technology has changed. Search engines have changed. Consumer habits have changed. It’s time you change with it.
- You’re using a free template style service or “DIY” type of website plan. That whole “you get what you pay for… or DON’T pay for” is very applicable! Not only do they have severe limitations, you don’t stand a chance of becoming visible in the search engines.
- Your website isn’t “Social Friendly”. Having the “Like us on Facebook”, “Follow us on Twitter”, and “Connect with us on LinkedIn” isn’t “Social Sharing”. You need an environment where visitors to your website can share your pages, content, and information with THEIR social audience. Not only does this help build your online network, it also helps your social networking tools find a home on page one of the search engines.
- You CAN’T… or DON’T add content to your own website. By “content”, (technically referred to as “Blogging”), I mean short articles, pieces of content, information that helps you look like the expert at what you do. If you aren’t… or you can’t… then you have nothing to share. Your website visitors have nothing to share. The days of sending people to your website so they can click on the “About Us” or “Our Services” pages, or hoping they fill out that contact form for more information are long gone. Consumers are now using your internet presence to learn more about YOU… to be convinced that YOU are the one they want to do business with.
- Your website isn’t “Mobile Friendly”. For the past several years, statistics have suggested that in 2013, next year, mobile device use is going to surpass standard PC and laptop use. They won’t even waste their time with your website if they can’t view it and use it effectively on their smartphones and mobile devices.
- You’re not on page one in Google, Yahoo!, and Bing. If any of the previous points apply to you, then don’t expect anyone to find you via search anytime soon.
So… where do YOU stand? Are you ready for 2013? Is your online marketing effort ready for 2013?
In today’s business world, the Internet is no longer a business “luxury”. The “I can’t afford to invest in my website, my social media, and my online visibility right now” mentality will only hurt you in the future. I assure you... it doesn’t matter what type of business you’re in, your competitors are doing what YOU should be doing. The longer you wait, the further behind you will get.
William Wells is a social media coach and speaker. For information on this and other business networking and social media topics visit him online and connect.