I have been attending Inver Grove Heights Days since I was a kid growing up here, and I definitely have some favorite events.
Please join me at these and other IGH Days activities. IGH Days kicks off on Thursday and runs through the weekend.
10) Home Run Derby. Kids try to hit home runs with wiffleballs off me in the Twins inflatable Target Field. Free DQ mini-blizzards for 100 participants. Sunday, 11am-4pm, on Cahill by Bremer Bank.
9) Simley Football Game. Though not technically an Inver Grove Heights Days event, I am a big fan of Simley football and appreciate that Athletics Director Will Short always tries to make sure Simley has a home football game during IGH Days. Friday, 7:30pm, Simley HS.
8) Community Family Fun Night. Lots of games and prizes for elementary age kids. Friday, 5:30-8:00pm, Hilltop Elementary School.
7) Taste of Inver Grove. Enjoy samples of great food from IGH restaurants. At $7 for all you care to eat, this is a great value and a cool fundraiser for the Simley Theater Guild. Saturday, 6-8pm, IGH Middle School Cafeteria.
6) BINGO. Does it get any better than old-fashioned bingo under a big tent? The Legion folks have even let me help call numbers on occasion. All weekend, Village Square parking lot.
5) Explore IGH. With a car show, public safety display and other events, there is something here for everyone. Sunday, 11am-4pm, Cahill between 65th & 68th.
4) Pet Contest. Longest tail, best trick and owner/pet look-a-like events highlight the annual pet contest. Sunday, Noon, Village Square lot.
3) Fireworks. Saturday, 9:30pm, Simley Pond.
2) Bike the Bridges Ride. Mayor Tourville and I lead a family-friendly, flat, 6-mile bike ride from the Rock Island Swing Bridge to the Wakota Bridge and back. Free t-shirts while supplies last. Saturday, 4pm, meet at Jersey's on Concord.
1) IGH Days Parade (and Food Drive). We'll again be collecting donations along the parade route of food, household and school supplies for our local food shelf. Saturday, 11am, Cahill from 65th to 80th St.
BONUS: Joe's Big Tent Event. Tim Drkula and I have hired a band to play 80's and 90's hits under the big tent on Thursday night. Please join us. Thursday, 7-10pm, Drkula's.
More information about Inver Grove Heights Days is available at www.ighdays.org. Thank you to all of the volunteers who organize IGH Days each year!